Friday, August 20, 2010

Going Postal


I love celebrating. Big or small – it really doesn’t matter. I enjoy special preparations and all the touches of care that go into decorating for changing seasons, cooking a Christmas feast or showing some cultural flair.

Growing up, I eagerly anticipated the Saturdays when Mom would bring a box of decorations up from the basement so we could help dress the house. I also knew this meant a special surprise from my aunt would soon follow in the mail.

My aunt was one of many who helped me see joy in holidays. For every occasion, she would send individually addressed cards to me and my sister – a big deal when you’re not accustomed to receiving mail. And this wasn’t just run-of-the-mill mail. The cards were always the kind that made me smile … and often included an extra little surprise, like a stick of gum or a dollar bill. Plus, the envelopes were penned in beautiful calligraphy, and equipped with seasonal stickers and a special stamp. It was almost as if the “boring default” flag stamps weren’t allowed. I remember thinking I wanted to be that kind of aunt when I grew up.

Never fail, every holiday brought a card with a loving note. The cards even came when I moved to college, and still come now that I have my own household with my husband. I firmly believe my aunt helped me cultivate the bit of pleasure I receive every day when getting the mail.

Fast forward to this summer. Remember my mention of borderline hoarder tendencies? I have a hard time tossing personal things … even if those things aren’t meant to keep forever. I decided to sort through my boxes of mail, collected through the years, and consolidate. (Is it frightening that I speak of these boxes in the plural tense? Or that I’ve sorted through them a time or two before?) What did I find? Numerous holiday cards from my aunt, kept treasured away for their sweet sentimentality. Some of my favorites I’d even used as holiday door decorations while in college. I had to laugh when I discovered a date on a postcard – 1989. Wow.

So, instead of keeping these thoughtful notes stuffed in a box, I decided to honor my aunt’s postmaster career by putting a new twist on these old cards. And what a great reminder – take joy in celebrating life’s many occasions!