
Frankly, it resembled beat up Mardi Gras beads.
But that necklace also matched my favorite shorts – elastic top hand-me-downs that were silver with gold side stripes.
Remember – I’m a child of the 80s.
Bless my mom’s heart, she let me wear whatever I wanted … around the house. But she just didn’t see the same beauty I did in those shorts. They made me feel special. Maybe even a bit classy.
I remember planning to run away one summer, and I slowly started packing away things to take with me in the red Radio Flyer wagon. (I was going to live in the hayloft at the farm with the cats – at least I had a plan.)
Top of my pile – the metallic shorts. And marshmallows. A girl’s got to eat.
While I didn’t end up running away, my love of bling continued to develop. In high school, I was heartbroken when my super cool, slightly-magnetic, “appropriately shiny” hematite bracelet slipped off my wrist and broke.
I must explain – I’m built a little like a baby giraffe – tall and somewhat gangly, with scrawny appendages. Bracelets often aren’t my best pal.
I crawled around on the driveway, searching for all the tiny hematite pieces to attempt to reassemble my bracelet. I never found them all, but I saved those pieces for years. I think this new creation is some modern bling worth celebrating.
With or without gold nuggets and shiny silver pants.
See the listing for this necklace and another hematite creation on my Etsy shop.
No comments:
Post a Comment