In the past few months, I've observed that most people don't see losing their job as an opportunity ... and certainly not a positive one. When I suddenly found myself with idle hands and extra time, I knew this was not an opportunity to waste. In my quiet time, I really started thinking - during stressful times at work, what did I long to do?
What did I miss because I was too busy?
Growing up, my parents gave me a wonderful gift - a large basement table for crafting and plenty of shelves to store supplies. I would cabbage on to anything - scraps of lace from Mom's sewing projects, lovely rocks from our crushed limestone driveway, beads from broken hair bands - you name it, I could see potential. My crafting projects evolved, but every step of the way, my family never discouraged me from trying something new ... even though they rarely saw my vision.
So I opened my dusty craft tubs, filled with "treasures" saved for the perfect project. Magazine clippings, "fancy" invitation paper, ribbon of every size and color.
Check.
As I began sorting and seeing, everything came together. I lost track of time, staying up until the middle of the night bonding with my Xacto knife and sewing machine. For the first time in a long time, my hands and my ideas were working in tandem, and perhaps more importantly, I was having fun.
Here begins the story of my Etsy shop. I'm looking forward to telling the stories behind my favorite items, and sharing the origins of a few pieces ... most likely revealing a few of my borderline hoarder tendencies.
Thanks for sharing this opportunity with me!
No comments:
Post a Comment