Monday, July 12, 2010

Spicy Creations, Martha Stewart Style


In high school, our public speaking block included an assignment for a demonstration speech.  Even in our small class, I had been bored to tears listening to other students painfully describe how to do simple tasks we all could accomplish.  And had accomplished.  I wanted to do something no one else would do.

And, I won't lie, I wanted a bit of a chance to emulate Martha Stewart.

I just loved how whenever she made ANYTHING on her show, it went together so smoothly.  She was clearly not a people person, but she still made even the dorkiest crafts look great.  And she used crushed glass glitter - talk about impressive!

I eagerly prepped for my speech, setting up the ingredients in different stages to properly allow for my time slot.  Unfortunately, the table I'd be using didn't have shelves underneath for a "magic TV reveal," but I made due.  The speech went flawlessly, the classroom smelled great, my peers weren't asleep, and my crafty teacher asked several interested questions - I certainly played to my audience!  My family soon received numerous shapes of scented ornaments for upcoming holidays - my dad's "waste not, want not" philosophy runs deep in my veins. 

My grandma so enjoyed my crafting that she had one of her snowbird friends bring back cinnamon for me from Mexico.  This cinnamon is a coarser grind than U.S. baking cinnamon, so it makes a great mix to add some texture and color to the ornaments.  I love the gingerbread man in the photo because the spice coloring makes him look like he has a heart.

Check out the Scented Cinnamon Ornament listing on my Etsy site for more photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment